Anyway, this morning I feel able to sew and add up so have started my swap pouch. The East Midlands Modern Quilty ladies are having a swap with the Saskatoon MQG. I wanted to try out a bit of fabric manipulation and this is what I've got so far:
I wanted to have 3 pleats and for each pleat to be 1 inch wide so cut the following
3 x 1.5" essex linen
2 x 1.25" liberty fabric (you could make these a bit wider if you want)
2 x 2.5" liberty fabric
Sew these together so you end up with....
|I added the rest of the pouch fabric on either side|
Then using the seam on the first pleat as a guide, mark a line 0.5" to the right of the seam
|I used a frixion pen - I hope you can see the lines|
Repeat for each of the pleats and you should end up with this....
Then find some nice thread (perle or similar) and start to smock by pulling either side of the pleat together and sewing a few stitches over and over. I used red thread and started the stitch about 1/8" from the seams on the pleat...
You could add buttons at this stage if you want. You could make the smocking uneven. Lots of options. I am still trying to decide whether to so the same for the other side or not.
Anyway, I hope you are all having a good weekend. I'm off do do some ...ahem... exercises... and clench!