Finished Quilts

Sunday 3 March 2013

while you were sleeping...

It's one of my favourite films - a Sandra Bullock rom com.  Can't beat it especially on a wet and wild afternoon.  Why did they always make Sandra wear massively over sized jumpers and head topping scrunchies in these movies?

Anyway, the wee man is a little poorly again (oh the nappies!) which although a little worrying does mean that he sleeps well during the day.  This has meant that I have been able to cut, sew and finish Charlie's quilt top (only 6 months late) in the space of a few days.....

new wave pattern 40"ish by 42"ish
Like many of us,  I found working with the browns a little aesthetically challenging and had to add a couple of brighter fabrics to make it work for me.  Thanks to Di for inspiring the pattern choice (hers is just lovely).  Charlie's mum wanted something in keeping with his nursery, which is creams, blues and browns so I hope she likes it.

I've made a quilt using this pattern a wee while ago before I had bought my 1/4" foot so it's definitely an improvement in terms of the piecing.  But I can't cut accurately to save my life!  Part of the problem is cutting on the floor I think.  It's a little hit and miss.  I need a table so I can do it standing up.  Half of the fabric was cut downstairs in the kitchen and these pieces are much more accurately cut than the kneeling down on a carpeted floor. Oh to have a dedicated cutting/sewing table....

So the two baby toddler quilts are now waiting to be sandwiched, basted, quilted and bound and I plan to get both of them done by the end of the month (I've told Rory's mum so can't be late!) so these are my planned lovely finishes for March.

11 comments:

  1. I also have a brown aversion/phobia except when it comes to chocolate it seems- but this is lovely. And I totally agree about the cutting, I've come to realise that cutting with the mat on the carpet doesn't work, and that's where i do most of mine, in front of the telly! I think this is because the springy underlay doesn't give enough resistance and maintain the line, and this has a massive impact on my cutting, which is shaky at best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely finish - it is a good pattern. Try cutting on a table or kitchen counter ;) Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cut on the floor?!? Dude, that's crazy - your back must get so sore! It's looking fabulous btw :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be adding a Sizzix die cutter to your list for Xmas/birthday pressies then? Or a table - might be cheaper haha! Sorry to hear the wee man is poorly. I hope he picks up soon - big love to you all xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say the quilt top is fantastic! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I agree, I think you will have more accuracy sewing on a table. My little sister is in high school and she occasionally sews herself new bags or small things. She actually puts her sewing machine on the floor. It is hilarious to watch her use the foot pedal while she is sitting on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little wee man, although I have to say Jakey was the 'sick' kid for at least the first three years! Great quilt top, even with the brown x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt and even more astonishing to hear that you cut your fabrics on the floor!Sorry the wee man is ill,hope he gets better soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt top, not so keen on the mental image of poorly boy nappies... but then I dont suppose either you or he are happy about those.... Get well soon wee man, just keep up the giving mum time to sew...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely quilt Moira. Ill children definitely makes keeping to sewing schedules more difficult! Hope your little man is well soon.

    PS love the skull cap / colander combo on the previous post - look forward to seeing your version! Hope the EMMQG gets off to an enthusiastic start - do you have a Flickr group? Would love to see what you all get up to x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh it's lovely! what a beautiful pattern

    ReplyDelete